Not sure what I am looking for, but about templates

azlpeterson

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm not sure if something like this is possible, and if it is, I'm not even sure what to search for to figure out how to do it.
I work at a university where we have templates for each of our programs. So, for example. I work in the engineering department and therefore we have multiple disciplines, under multiple degrees. For example
Associates Degree: Civil, Surveying, GIS
Bachelor's Degree: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc
Bachelor's Degree (Honours): Civil, Mechanical, etc.

Now, for EVERY discipline, we have an excel template to fill out for their chosen discipline and for the chosen level of education (Assoc, Bachelor, Bachelor (H)). It's rather time consuming going to each folder where the templates are saved, then re-save it to the student records folder, then fill it out, and so forth. We don't want to use the excel method of saving each individual file as a template at this time for our own reasons (so many files to deal with basically), but my idea that I am hoping is possible is this:

I want to create ONE file for each discipline (i.e.) CIVIL. Then I want to combine each template that belongs to that disciple (so again, Assoc, Bach, Bach (H)) into one workbook. On the first sheet, I would like to create a drop down menu that allows us to choose the degree type we want to work from and have it take us directly to that spread sheet.

Additionally, each template has 4 worksheets, the main one is the enrolment guide, the second one is an automatically created exemption guide that is based on formulas depending on what happens on the first sheet, the 3rd is the formula sheet for different course code drop down boxes that apply to the first sheet, and I can't remember what the fourth one is at the moment. I'm not sure if this is really relevant, or if all four sheets would just merge over into the 1 workbook for each template that is added (which is ideal). So, in total, each workbook would have roughly 20 sheets with in it.

I know this is a bit complicated for myself to explain, but hopefully someone 'gets it' and can give me some guidance on where to look/what to do. - Most appreciated!

Start from the beginning, speaking to the basics.

You want to automate the process of copying a template and paste it into a new location ?

Hey, thanks for the reply.
To be more simply: I have 5 templates (each w/ 4 worksheets that go to the one template). I want to compile them into one workbook, and make a drop down box on the first worksheet that allows you to select the correct template for the corresponding degree for that discipline.

Currently we have maybe 30ish different templates; one for every degree and corresponding discipline to that degree. All in folders that you have to go hunting for. If I could make ONE template that has these 5 complied into it, I could make it into a standard Excel template.

Make more sense? If not, I can photoshop the idea together so you can visualize it; I'm more of a visual person myself.

Send the pics please.

I'm visual too.

Back