Moving selected column data to a new column whilst keeping the data in the same row

ferg

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 2.17.06 PM.jpg

Hi all, I need some help again - i feel this would a topic already covered so please forgive me for not looking harder! I googled but could not find an answer close enough.

In the image attached is an example of what I am after - the 3 highlighted cells are the example of the data I need moved. I need it to move to 'column I' but keep it in the same Row from which it came. Ideally, I will then be able to filter the original column with credentials i.e. every cell which has .psd in the cell and then mass copy that column and mass paste to 'column I' whilst still keeping it in that row

Thanks guys,
Ferg

Hello
Can you say what the rule(s) are to identify the cell contents you want to move ?

Not a problem, hopefully i answer correctly.
The primary rule for the contents in the cells I want to move are identified by a "."

This is because all the other cell contents are just text from a folder path I automated into an excel document.

Hope that is what you were after.

Thanks for the taking the time to have a look

Hello, you can put an autofilter, but you have to select all the data in the worksheet.
You filter the data according to your rule. Then you select the cells, copy and paste them in the new location.

Thanks for the reply Jsuarezg,

Unfortunately when I do that, It doesn't keep the row structure.

The best way I can explain it is: (Not applicable to the picture I uploaded)

Majority of the files are in column B, and a few have fallen into column A (Due to the automation program). So in Column B there are blanks where the Column A files would fit perfectly. Without changing the order of any of the cells in Column B, I need the outlier files (about 1000 of them) to move 1 cell across from column A to B, without disrupting any of the cell values in Column B.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Hi all... anyone managed to come up with any ideas for this little doozy? I am still stumped!

Hello Ferg
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Did you get a solution? If not I will come up with something.

Hercules :)

Hello Ferg
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Did you get a solution? If not I will come up with something.

Hercules :)

Have a look at this example. Open Sheet1 and run the macro 'MoveCellContents' after you've looked over the test data.
Does this do what you want?
It should work Ok if you have Excel 2007 onwards. If your earlier, you'll need a file with a .xls extension

HTH
Hercules

Attachments

• MoveData.xlsm
    19.1 KB · Views: 22
Ferg
Just a quick message. Ive replied to your post, but the site's been unavailable. Its up and running again now though.

Back