Merge rows without loosing content of certain columns

ernestaigner

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a table with about 10000 entries and 30 Columents. Each row has an ID where about 4000 rows have the same ID. These rows are exactly the same except 6 columns in which they have binary (empty or 1) information. I would like to merge duplicate rows and if one of them has a "1" in a certain column, the merged row shall also have a 1.

How can I do that? I tried now for about 2 hours, but don't find a soluation. I tried by sorting a checking whether the next row has the same entry. However, since sometimes there are three rows which are the same except the binary value, this approach is not working. I am happy for any suggestions!!!!

I also google alreay, however, not successfully. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

THANK YOU!!!

Ernest

MGadAllah

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 and 2019
Hi
may you post the sheet so i can help you to do so?
regarding the merge without losing data you can try using ASAP Utilities and it will do the trick with one single mouse click.

ernestaigner

Reaction score
Hi,

I installed ASAP Utilities now, however, I only find a delete duplicate function, but no function which allows me to merge the data of the duplicate cells. Where do I find that?

MGadAllah

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 and 2019
Hi,

I installed ASAP Utilities now, however, I only find a delete duplicate function, but no function which allows me to merge the data of the duplicate cells. Where do I find that?

ernestaigner

Reaction score
Hi,

Here an Excel sheet with a few example rows. I would like to merge columns BH to BO. Column BP to BR show the duplicates. The ID is in Column BD.

Thank you very much!!!

Attachments

• example_duplicates.xlsx
    27 KB · Views: 10

ernestaigner

Reaction score
Hi thank you!

I have seen that, but this just merges all the rows I select, however I would like to merge only duplicate rows. Since the file is very long I cannot pick one by one.

MGadAllah

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 and 2019
Do arrange or sort and then do the merge.

ernestaigner

Reaction score
Hi,

thanks! I am using now an ablebits addon which does exactly what I want!

However, Thankyou for your help! Ernest

MGadAllah

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 and 2019
what is the link?
is it free?