Help Please

Basil

Reaction score
Hi folks, Basil from Manila here. Been using Excel for more than a decade now but I'm far from being an expert as my knowledge is limited to our applications of spreadsheets in our office.

Very cool forum you got here. I like the fact that you could get credible advice from experts through the internet.

I normally use Google whenever I encounter problems with Excel, or anything else for that matter. But I seem to have encountered a problem that Google doesn't have an answer to, something that's probably elementary for the members of the forum. Hope you guys could help me.

The spreadsheet that I am having a problem with is a time log tracker that basically computes for total minutes spent per work done, and also computes for the accumulated mins doing all the tasks. Users enter the start / end time of their work, the "Minutes Spent" column computes (="end time cell" - "start time cell") correctly but for some reason, the sum of the minutes spent just gets messed up when a certain cell, and all the cells that come after it, is filled in with data. Please see screenshot. The 1st image shows the sum of column G upto cell g53...but normally I use =sum(g:g). Upto this point the sum I'm getting is correct. But once I include cell g54 in the equation, the total gets messed up (bottom image). I tried tweaking the cell format, checking for discrepancies in the formulas, but can't seem to find a problem. The "total unpaid hours" column seems to be computing correctly but It might eventually get the same problem. I created the file using Excel 2010 and tried using Excel 2003 (copy pasted the data and applied the formulas) and still encountered the problem. Thanks in advance.
View attachment Time Log Test.xlsExcel.jpg

And to add to this, when I highlight the "Time Spent" cells, the sum that the status bar displays is correct. Appreciate the help. Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

You need to apply a custom number format to your cell:
[hh]:mm:ss
so that it will display hours greater than 24.

Oh wow, that fixed it. Thought that the problem was with the range cells the whole time...and didn't even consider selecting "custom" when I tweaked the format. Thanks so much for the help sir. Really appreciate it :thumb::thumb:

Glad to help. :)

Back