Formula to return median values if true

sparky

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm stuck with this issue for a while now.

I have attached the spreadsheet. This is basically what I want to achieve but excel will not allow me to put this formula in,

if($D:$D = "P1", median($F:$F), "0")

I want the formula to check the column D for rows with P1 and if true, return the median of the corresponding rows in column F.

Can some one please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Book2.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 10

NBVC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016
Try:

=MEDIAN(IF($D$2:$D$10="P1",$F$2:$F$10))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just ENTER.

Don't use whole column ranges with this formula.

sparky

Reaction score
Thanks NBVC for your prompt reply. The formula is working fine in the attached spreadsheet. But I'm trying to copy it over to a number of other spreadsheets and I'm getting a #N/A error. Can you please tell me how to resolve a #N/A error for the median formula?

Upon evaluating the formula, I figured that the If statement works fine, but when the median formula tries to search the array ($F$2:$F$10), this returns #N/A. All the ranges I'm searching have values in them, there are no blank cells. (but this formula must treat blank cells as 0)

How can I achieve this?

NBVC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016
Not sure I follow. You say F2:F10 all have numbers, but you are still getting #N/A? Is the D2:D10 matching the P1? Is the formatting of the numbers numbers or text? Can you attach a sample with expected results?