Ken Puls

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.excelguru.ca
Excel Version(s)
Excel Office 365 Insider
I was actually kind of struck by this the other day when I went to register my bottle of Laphroaig whisky... I landed on their home page, and it told me that one of my Facebook friends was also a fan of Laphroaig. I thought it was kind of neat.

At any rate, vBulletin now has Facebook integration built in, you just needed to create an app and turn the switch to on. Being a geek, I couldn't really help myself.

So you can now associate your Facebook account with the site. So far as I can tell, you pretty much get the ability to post back to your wall to tell people when you ask/answer questions. :)

Okay I see. So now when you apply for a new job, your prospective employer looks you up on Facebook and finds that you are a sad old git who spends all your time in a dark room talking to people you never meet, whilst getting sozzled on malt whisky. Poof! There goes your application. Don't you just love social spying, oops I mean networking.

LOL! Lock it down! Kind of glad it's built in to v4.0, there are quite a few mods for the v3.x series. I like it. :)

Okay I see. So now when you apply for a new job, your prospective employer looks you up on Facebook and finds that you are a sad old git who spends all your time in a dark room talking to people you never meet, whilst getting sozzled on malt whisky.

Bob, they don't need Facebook to find that out. They can find out all about your habits by using Google...

In all seriousness, what a user chooses to do with their Facebook profile is both their issue and their business. My profile is locked right down to my friends only, and I advised anyone I talk to that they should do likewise. It's amazing how many people don't though.

... My profile is locked right down to my friends only, and I advised anyone I talk to that they should do likewise ...

And you trust Facbook to maintain that, and never to sell it?

Oh yes, Bob. I trust Facebook implicitly. I can't imagine that they would ever sell my information, or instead new policies that are set to "opt out" by default. Not!

No, seriously, I don't. At all. But I do regularly check my profile to to ensure that every available privacy option is locked down. I also try to make it a policy to not post anything that I think would come back to bite me later. :)

... I also try to make it a policy to not post anything that I think would come back to bite me later. :)

You've already told them that you are a bozo!

LOL! At least I didn't say "I was drinking till I passed out, so couldn't answer your question" like someone I know! :p

Back