Data Validation and Dropdown List

cdhamo

Reaction score
I want to create a data validation, with a dropdown list, using initially 3 cell ranges. I couldn't work out how to do it, so I created another range including 3 separate areas on my first worksheet called "dropdown". Can someone please help. What do I type into the data verification box (2nd sheet - E4), so it will show the cells relating to "Dropdown" or "COS" & "Expenses" & "Capital". File attached. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Help List.xlsx
    24.1 KB · Views: 17

Bob Phillips

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
O365
Some data in that workbook might help.

cdhamo

Reaction score
I didn't think data affected the question or answer, as I have named the cell ranges...

cdhamo

Reaction score

Attachments

• Help List Updated.xlsx
    24.2 KB · Views: 26

royUK

Reaction score
Website
www.excel-it.com
Excel Version(s)
most versions
That second example is no help at all. There is no list to apply to Data validation, the Named Ranges that you probably intend to use produce #Ref!. There are 14 named Ranges in the workbook!!

If you think we have time to waste providing an answer based on guesswoprk then you won't get an answer.

cdhamo

Reaction score
I don't understand your comment. I've mentioned which cell ranges (in the initial post) which I need to include in the validation. The words / text will change within these ranges - that's why I haven't filled out each and every row. What do I need to do?

royUK

Reaction score
Website
www.excel-it.com
Excel Version(s)
most versions
Capital is a single cell range so how would you make a list from that? Your ranges need to be Dynamic or given that you are working with Excel 2007 or newer then make them into Tables. I think you are looking to make a selection & the relevant list be made available. In which case you need a drop down to select the type of expense and then a drop down that is loaded using INDIRECT to populate this drop down with the relevant list.

cdhamo

Reaction score
Thank you, not sure I totally understand, but I want the one cell E4 to have a drop down box showing all entries under the headings COS,Expenses and the row that indicates Capital. That's why I've made cell ranges.