Combo box filtering

nparsons75

Reaction score
I have a number of user forms. Let's say 5. Stage 1,2,3,4 and 5. At stage 1 a serial number is entered into a text box. At stage 2 the serial number becomes available in a combo box. I need to select the serial number from the combo box and press submit. I need the serial number to now show in a combo box at stage 3, BUT, no longer show at stage 2. Once the serial number has been submitted at stage 2 it can't be selected again (unless re-booked in at stage 1).

It is like a production line. Stage by stage. Eventually when it reaches the end at stage 5 and submitted it will be gone from all combo boxes.

Each user form opens up a database (spreadsheet) when submit is pressed. It enters the data and closes the database. I need all the data to remain in the database but the combo boxes to only show the serial numbers available to the stage.

Hope this makes sense, this has bothered me for days, can't get to the bottom of it.

This is my latest code for this operation:

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Activate()    Dim SourceWB As Workbook
    Dim rng As Range, Item As Range
    Dim i As Integer
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    With Me.axlenumbox
        .Clear    ' remove existing entries from the combobox
        ' open the source workbook as ReadOnly
        Set SourceWB = Workbooks.Open("J:\WHEELSET FLOW SYSTEM\LIVE SYSTEM\database_np_201403190805.xlsx", _
                                      False, True)
        'set the data range
        With SourceWB.Worksheets("database")
[B]        Set rng = .Range(.Range("f5"), .Range("f" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp))[/B]
    End With

' get the values you want

For Each Item In rng
[B]            If Item.Offset(0, 9).Value <> "fail" Then[/B]
                .AddItem Item.Value    ' populate the listbox
            End If
            Next Item
             .ListIndex = -1    ' no items selected, set to 0 to select the first item
        End With
        SourceWB.Close False    ' close the source workbook without saving changes
        Set SourceWB = Nothing
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Last edited:
need sample files (with notes) for testing

Files

I have only posted once so unable to send a link. Is there another way to get them to you?

upload files on sharing site then paste the link

More info

Bit more info.

How it works:

1. Enter a serial number at stage 1 and select available in status.
2. Select the serial number in stage 2, select pass or fail in status. Press submit.
3. I now want the serial number (axle serial number) to appear in the combo box at stage 3. BUT no longer appear at stage 2.
4. This happens at each stage afterwards.

Please help....

I have supplied a link to the files.

Stages 1,2 and 3. There is a database file and a database viewer. (the viewer just duplicates the database for viewing purposes).

Please ask if I need to explain in any other detail. Appreciate the help, thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/et3jt6ph941be2h/e-ZYHJ_QM9

I asked for sample, not all project, I can not use it

How would you like it.

Do you need me to create it as a sample, excel sheet with userform?

Hopefully this helps.

The link is an image of what result i need. In axle serial number for paint stage 3 I only want to be able to select serial number 1 as this has Passed stage 2. Serial number 2 should not be available in the combo box on the userform as it failed.

http://1drv.ms/1eJMGbi

I have not the know how for using your project, when I try I get many errors

Back