Conditional Formatting for certain cells in columns

MattMurdock

Reaction score
Hi guys- I'll try my best to describe but hopefully you will better understand once you take a look at the sample workbook. Basically there are three different tables in a worksheet, with months being the column headings. The three different tables are portfolios, and the rows are the triggers (prices) where you would buy a certain volume.

My problem is that I want when the user enters a amount for Trigger 1- it will display an XXXX (or maybe highlight the cells) for Trigger 1 in the other portfolios. Trigger 1 will not always be in Portfolio A.

Is there a way to do this without insertting a formula into every cell for each month, maybe some conditional formatting or macro that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help

Matt

Attachments

• Testbook.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 16
i see where you have xxxxx in some cells in portfolio A . Are those supposed to be there, it is kind of confusing , according to your explanation there would only be xxxxx showing up in all other portfolios besides A

See if this is what you had in mind.

Attachments

• Testbook_XXXXX.xlsx
    15.6 KB · Views: 17
See if this is what you had in mind.

Thanks for the reply sorry in the delay getting back to you.

That formula was closer to what I need however I get a circular reference when I try it for all the portfolios.

Heres a new sample that might be more clear. Thanks

Attachments

• Testbook.xlsx
    12.8 KB · Views: 13
alright i see what you are trying to do now. that will be tough, i'll see if i can come up with something.

Thanks, any help would be great I actually need this for work so even if it doesn't work any progress would be great and maybe I can build on it

Thanks, any help would be great I actually need this for work so even if it doesn't work any progress would be great and maybe I can build on it

This may not be the best approach but you said you would be happy with anything to start with and work from. The thing that is the problem here is that to do what you need to do you need to be able to enter data into a cell but at the same time have a formula in that cell to check for conditions. I just seperated the entering of the triggers into a sepereate grid . on the worksheet at the right hand side you will see a grid laid out almost like you r master grid on the left. You enter you triggers into the proper cells in the right side grid and the left side master grid automatically updates . there is conditional formatting that will error check the right side grid for you. If you enter more than say one trigger 1 on in a column it will flag red to let you know you have entered to many. It might seem a little busy at first glance but you enter the data the same as you were to start with, so it is not going to cause you any more time. I hope this will get you started, if you have ay questions let me know.

Reminder you do not enter data into the left side area.... only enter trigger data into the right side grid.

Note: i added a macro that will clear your trigger grid when you need to. you will see the button for under the grid.

Attachments

• Testbook_2.xlsm
    32.7 KB · Views: 10
Back